These are my links for August 24th through August 26th:
- 500 Internal Server Error – 500 Internal Server Error
- The beauty of data visualization | Video on TED.com – David McCandless turns complex data sets (like worldwide military spending, media buzz, Facebook status updates) into beautiful, simple diagrams that tease out unseen patterns and connections.
- Ning says googbye to free accounts – The problem with a free lunch is that you don't always get to choose what you eat. I sympathise with the many users that have decided to close their Ning account rather than pay (the not unreasonable) monthly subscription. One thing I always look for now on any free service is what tools are available for exporting/migrating content. I learnt my lesson the hard way using Magnolia (all bookmarks lost) and Twine (now www.evri.com). At least with a paid service there is some liability on the service provider to deliver and maintain the service.<br />
Sounds like Ning have have made the right choices.
- Google Buzz not Buzzing – Google still doesn't appear to have hit that sweet spot of social networking. They should be applauded for persistence, but not sure how many bites of the cherry they will get before users grow tired of engaging with the latest beta product. I've been a long-time user of FriendFeed, so Buzz was not really a radical and compelling service. It's going to have to produce something pretty radical to shift users away from Facebook, which I still think is their long-term goal. Anyone out there who thrives on Buzz?
- DC10plus – DC10plus -The network for change – The DC10plus network aims to address social, economic, environmental and improved service delivery through the use of technology and innovation. It is a collaborative network of over 2,500 local authorities, industry, academe and the third sector partners dedicated to creating partnerships, sharing good practice and developing new initiatives.